Our Commitment to Sustainability
At LJS, we commit to minimize the impact of our work on the earth and the use of the earth’s resources.
To support a more sustainable practice, we reduce:
Office electricity by:
- Turning off computers and lights when not in use.
- Using zone- and timer-controlled heating to heat only when we are in the office.
- Setting the thermostat at 67°.
- Never using air conditioning!
- Using natural light as much as possible and using low wattage bulbs when lighting is necessary.
Office waste by:
- Re-using paper, inkjet cartridges, and packaging whenever possible.
- Using soy-based inks on printed materials.
- Using recycled paper products.
- Limiting print-based materials and using electronic documents whenever possible.
- Reducing waste and recycling materials to the maximum.
- Using washable mugs and glasses instead of disposable ones.
- Using organic soaps and soaps without sodium laurel sulfates (SLS).
- Not purchasing bottled water.
- Encouraging our clients to recycle and not to use disposable water bottles, cups, etc., to minimize paper and plastic use in meetings and conferences.
Unnecessary travel by:
- Locating our main office in Nanci’s home; associates also work out of their home offices.
- Reducing air and vehicle travel when possible.
- Conducting more of our business over the Internet and telephone.
- Locating office services in our neighborhood to promote walking, cycling, or running to do our errands.
We also purchase carbon credits:
- We reduce our carbon footprint by sponsoring clean energy and carbon reduction projects through TerraPass. Calculate your CO2 emissions at: http://www.terrapass.com/